There’s always a lot to do just before you leave for a holiday. At this stage, people commonly focus on finishing any pending matters at work and getting their bags packed. However, just a little more planning before you travel can help ensure that your trip goes smoothly.
Well before your departure date, you need to ensure that all your travel documentation is in order. This may include your passport, required visas, and documents like an international driver’s license.
In addition, you may want to consider a few factors that could help you save on your travel or safeguard your home while you are away:
- Buy your ticket with your credit card air miles – there are many cards in the UAE that offers you air miles and depending on how much you travel, you may have enough miles to get you a ticket for free. Watch out also for offers in the market. For example, one of the latest offers currently is the najm Platinum credit card offers you 50,000 PremiumRewards points when you apply for the card which can take you to London, Singapore, Paris and many more destinations. You can also view all the cards with airmiles and see which one suits you best.
- Compare and purchase an appropriate travel insurance policy – There is nothing more irritating than the airline loosing your luggage or you ending up sick during your trip. Make sure you are protected and travel in peace.
- If possible, ask a neighbour, relative or friend to check your house from time to time; also give this person a number where they can reach you if necessary when you’re away but it is also advisable to ensure you have home content insurance to secure all your belongings and protects your liability in case a pipe breaks and affects the neighbor’s flat
- Tell your bank of your travel plans before you leave – this will avoid your cards being blocked as suspicious transactions from outside of the UAE
- Consider exchanging money before hand as it might be expensive to do so at the Airport or in the country you are traveling to
- Using your mobile phone abroad can be very expensive both for calls and data so make sure you enquire about your available options from du and Etisalat well before you travel
- Prepare a packing checklist – that would make sure you do not forget anything last minute
On the day of your travel, in addition to making sure your bags are packed and you haven’t left anything out, spend a little time organising your home so that it will be pleasant to get back to it after the holiday. Empty the fridge of any food that’s likely to get spoiled and empty the garbage bins. You should also pull out all electric plugs.
Before setting out, take a few minutes to check the following:
- Run through your packing checklist to make sure you haven’t left anything out, paying special attention to your travel documents, tickets and money
- Call the airline for a final check in case there’s a last-minute delay
- Make sure your air-conditioner is switched off and all windows and doors are securely locked
Once you’ve done this, set off and enjoy a wonderful holiday!