Being a home owner means constant maintenance. You always have to be on top of your game, especially if you don’t want to spend a lot of money on mishaps which could have been avoided. If you are looking to renovate your home, that is an additional cost. That’s why you need to plan and budget carefully. The team at Souqalmal.com created a mini checklist to help you out with future property maintenance and renovation.
Is your home well maintained?
Before you decide to renovate your home, it is probably a good idea to check if your home needs any maintenance work. Here is a quick list of things to check before summer starts in Saudi Arabia.
- Change AC filters
- Get your AC serviced on regular basis
- Inspect your house plumbing
- Clean out all drains in kitchen and bathroom. You can do this by pouring down baking soda and vinegar
- Get your water heater checked
- Check the functionality of your fire extinguishers and see if your smoke detectors are still working
- Replace your refrigerator coil to save money on utilities and clean out your vacuum filter
Keep in mind, a lot of home renovation and maintenance work in Saudi Arabia happens either through word of mouth or going down to the local market and negotiating prices with contractors and handymen. You can also sign a maintenance contract with a company. The cost of the contract will depend on the size of your property and the services you require. On average it can cost you anywhere between SR 2000 to SR 5000.
How to plan home renovations
Before starting any major renovation, make a list of things you would like to change about your home and prioritize them. Set a realistic budget you can afford. This is just the starting point and will help you evaluate the necessity of the renovations you want to make.
Remember while budgeting, don’t be too conservative with the amount. Not only do you want the desired results but you don’t want to go through the pain of renovating your house every couple of years. Also, cutting costs by getting cheap materials is probably not a good idea as replacing them will cost you more in the long run. Below is a quick check list which can help you get started.
- Make a list of renovations
- Set a budget and a timeline
- Research contractors – make sure you get multiple quotes before selecting one
- Shortlist and interview contractors – it is absolutely vital that you are comfortable with them and they understand and share your vision
- If possible, always check with their references before hiring. There is nothing worse than being stuck with a contractor who can’t get the job done
- Sign a contract with clear terms and conditions
- Plan relocation depending on your renovation period. If you can’t stay at home for a period of time because of the remodeling, book hotels or organize to stay with a friend. You can also set aside a single room which will remain untouched to save on costs
As mentioned earlier, set a budget which allows you to get the results you desire. If you need extra help, consider getting a loan from the bank. You can visit Souqalmal.com to compare all your personal finance options in Saudi Arabia.