Are you planning to get a driving license in Dubai? For first time learners, you’re required to join a driving school and pass a series of tests to get your permit. According to Roads and Transport Authority (RTA), out of the 1,800 students who went for the final road test daily, only an average of 630 passed. Getting a license can be costly if you don’t account for all the costs involved before enrolling into any of the driving schools.
In the UAE, the minimum age to drive is 18 years. There are five authorized driving schools: Al Ahli Driving School, Belhasa Driving Centre, Dubai Driving Center, Emirates Driving Institute and Galadari Driving School. Make sure you go through the breakdown of fees charged by the different schools and compare their costs in order to save.
How Many Classes Do I Have To Take?
Costs of getting a license will also depend on the number of classes you’re required to take. Beginners have to enroll for 40 classes, but if you have another country’s license which is two to five years old, you’re required to take 30 classes. If it’s more than five years old, you will only have to take 20 classes. Keep in mind, it’s also mandatory to take eight theory classes before you start with your practical classes.
How Much Will It Cost Me?
To start with, you will be paying fees for opening your RTA file and registration. This varies between AED 900 to AED 1,100 and includes the cost of your learners permit and RTA handbook. Other costs will include lecture fees, theory test, internal assessment, road test, license issue, and practical driving classes. Depending on the driving school you select and number of classes, the overall cost will range between AED 3,630 and AED 6,395. Keep in mind, if you fail your first road test, there will be an additional charge of eight classes, school administration fees and road test.
So, if you’re looking for a driving school, below is information on driving schools in the UAE and the average cost of getting a license. Keep in mind, the below fees are for regular classes over weekdays for automatic light motor vehicles. For other class timings or vehicle types, the cost will differ.
Cost For First Time Learners: 40 Classes
|Driving school||Admin fees+lecture fees+assessments||40 classes||Total fees|
|Galadari Driving School||2630||2000||4630|
|Al Ahli Driving School||2610||2200||4810|
|Dubai Driving Centre||2650||2400||5050|
|Belhasa Driving Centre||2735||2400||5135|
|Emirates Driving Institute||3795||2600||6395|
Existing License (Two to Five Years Old): 30 classes
If you have an existing license from another country which is two to five years old, you will pay the following for 30 classes:
|Driving school||Admin fees+lecture fees+assessments||30 classes||Total fees|
|Galadari Driving School||2630||1500||4130|
|Al Ahli Driving School||2610||1650||4260|
|Dubai Driving Centre||2650||1800||4450|
|Belhasa Driving Centre||2735||1800||4535|
|Emirates Driving Institute||3795||1950||5745|
Existing License (More Than Five Years Old): 20 Classes
For those who have a valid license from another country which is more than five years old, 20 classes are a requirement. Below is a breakdown of the average cost.
|Driving school||Admin fees+lecture fees+assessments||20 classes||Total fees|
|Galadari Driving School||2630||1000||3630|
|Al Ahli Driving School||2610||1100||3710|
|Dubai Driving Centre||2650||1200||3850|
|Belhasa Driving Centre||2735||1200||3935|
|Emirates Driving Institute||3795||1300||5095|
Keep In Mind…
- If you prefer night or weekend classes, you can opt for them at a higher cost.
- Female students who wish to have their classes with male instructors are required to sign an NOC and pay an additional charge.
- If you happen to fail the road test, you will have to pay for eight extra classes along with paying for the road test which costs AED 290.There will also be a service fee charged by the driving school.
- Most driving schools in Dubai offer pick up and drop off facility, while some may charge extra for far flung areas.
- You can also compare on the basis of additional facilities offered by the driving schools. Some of them include separate waiting lounges for females, day care facilities for kids and bus services to the closest metro station.
- Don’t forget to check for special offers such as discounts for students or discounts on your credit card. For example, use your FGB credit card to get a 8% discount on regular courses at Emirates Driving Institute. You can also convert these payments into easy monthly installment plans.
[Related: How to pay traffic fines in the UAE]
Documents required for a driving license in the UAE
- Passport and Emirates ID
- No objection letter from sponsor
- Eight photos