70% of consumers in the UAE polled admitted spending more when they are stressed
With the festive season fast approaching and less than 46 days until Christmas, the message to consumers is to try to relax before hitting the shops for gifts for their loved ones. 70 percent of the consumers in the UAE polled, admitted to spending more than usual with 41% slightly more and 29% a lot more than they had planned to, when they shopped feeling stress.
Although many choose “retail therapy” to de-stress – it would appear that this should be avoided and instead you should wait until you’re calm and relaxed before heading to the mall to do your Christmas shopping..
Souqalmal.com gives you their top five tips on how to shop smart this festive season:
- Make a list of all the people that you need to buy a gift for and have a budget for each person. Try to stick to it!
- Don’t buy the first thing you see. Shop around and compare the prices and deals on offer.
- If using your credit card – do your research. Many banks have partnerships with certain retailers and you could be able to make extra savings.
- Avoid the mall’s busiest times. Parking and shopping can be really stressful when the malls are crowded.
- Plan ahead. Don’t leave everything to the last minute where choice will be limited and the shops will be at their busiest.
Ambareen Musa, CEO of souqalmal.com concludes; “Many people feel under real pressure at Christmas to spend over their means to buy their loved ones expensive gifts. My advice is to shop smart, stick to your budgets and make sure you are getting the best deal. By spending a little time planning your purchases, you can often find some great deals and make significant savings.”