Winter is here! This means more activities and things to do to make the most of the cool temperatures. There are a wide range of events you can participate in this winter season. We have compiled a list of the best competitions, food shows, runs, concerts, shopping and entertainment events.
Compete and beat!
Think you are born to compete? If you are an adrenaline junkie and are always looking for activities to keep you going, check out the various competitions that are taking place in the city. The Red Bull Flugtag returns to Dubai on 27 November 2015. The event is for flying enthusiasts who get a chance to design, build and fly their self made flying machines off a 30 ft high flight deck.
Where’s the food?
- The winter season brings back to you The Ripe Food & Craft Market which started on 6 November 2015 and will take place every Friday from from 9 am – 3 pm at Zabeel Park, Gate 2. You will find items from organic fruits and vegetables, juices, superfoods to live cooking food stalls, arts and crafts, fashion and jewelry. There are also fitness workshops, live entertainment, yoga and children’s activities to keep you engaged. Entry is free.
- UK’s popular BBC Good Food Show will be holding its first international show in Dubai. This event will feature all its key elements such as celebrity chefs, the best seasonal and regional produce and a culinary experience. The show will be as per its UK format with the show’s highlight being the Supertheatre, wherein the audience will get a chance to watch the celebrity chefs cook their favorite dishes live. The event will see celebrity chefs like Paul Hollywood, James Martin and Andy Bates alongside Dubai-based celebrity chef Silvena Rowe. The event will be held at the Dubai World Trade Centre from 17 – 19 December 2015. Get early bird discounts if you book before 15 November 2015. Tickets start at AED 75 per person.
- The Roundup food truck carnival is a good way to treat yourself to food on wheels over the weekend. Visit Zabeel Park on Fridays or Creek Park on Saturdays from 3 pm to 11 pm and try out a variety of delicacies from different cuisines. Entry is free.
Running is even more fun when you have hundreds of people running with you. Dubai has been hosting marathons and runs for a number of causes. If you have never been a part of one, here’s a list of the running events happening in the near future.
- Nike’s We Run DXB is being held for the second time in Dubai. The challenge will have beginner, intermediate and advanced level runners running the 10 kilometer race at Mohammed Bin Rashid Boulevard Downtown Dubai on 13 November 2015.
- The Color Run 2015 is back in Dubai on Saturday 21 November 2015 at the Dubai Autodrome. The five kilometre fun run is like a party with thousands of participants or color runners running and dancing to music with massive color throws. The idea is to start in white and end up colored from head to toe.
- The Dubai International Triathlon 2015 will take place on 14 November 2015. The half iron distance triathlon features a 1.9 km swim followed by 90 km bike then a 21.1 km run. The race will start at JBR and make sure you register online.
- Dial a battery desert run is a two stage desert adventure run. You can choose to run a 5 km, 10 km or 20 km distance. The race starts at 7 pm on 27 November 2015 when you will head to the desert for your selected distance. You will return to the camp for food and fun and to prepare for the next morning’s run at 7 am. Activities for the kids are lined up for Saturday morning.
- If you are a cycling enthusiast, register for the Spinneys Dubai Cycling challenge which is to be held from 6 am – 11 am on 11 December 2015 at the Dubai Autodrome. Cyclists have an option of taking the 92 km path or the 46 km path.
Groove to the beats
There are a number of concerts and musical events lined up for you to enjoy this winter in the UAE. Make sure you don’t miss out on your favorite artists performance!
- VANS Party in the Park is back in Dubai with its second concert on Friday, 13 November 2015. The event offers live performances in the natural surroundings of a park along with an unlimited barbecue brunch from 2 pm to 5 pm. The performers include Stereophonics, Razorlight and the Parlotones. There will also be a VANS drop zone where you can jump from a height and land on an air bag. The BAGJUMP public Free Drop is open to any skill level and suitable for both the young and the old. The event will be held at the Dubai Media City Amphitheatre from 2 pm until midnight.
- The 90’s popular boys band BLUE is in town for a concert. If you are a fan you can buy tickets online before they get sold out. The concert will be held on Friday, 13 November 2015 at the Emirates Golf Club.
- RedFest Dubai is one of the biggest music festivals in Dubai featuring artists from around the world. This two day festival will be held on 11 & 12 February 2016. You can pre- register for tickets online and watch Adam Lambert, Steve Aoki, Rita Ora, Eva Simons and many others perform live.
For your entertainment
- World’s famous fairy tales Sleeping Beauty and Giselle will be brought to life by the Moscow City Ballet this November. This classic ballet will be telling stories of timeless love and tragedy. The show can be attended at Dubai Community Theatre and Arts centre from 19 to 21 November 2015 and at Emirates Palace, Abu Dhabi from 23 to 25 November 2015.
- Watch your favourite movies with friends and family under the stars. JLT Outdoor Cinema experience will be screening movies every Fridays and Saturdays from 20 November till the end of April. Both kids and adults can enjoy a free entry to watch movies in the open air of the JLT Park between the O and P clusters. Movies for kids will be played on Fridays and for adults on Saturdays.
- The 12th edition of the Dubai International Film Festival will be held from 9 to 16 December 2015 at Madinat Jumeirah. The festival will host movie premieres, workshops and free movie screenings. You can book the tickets for screenings which are available in different packages.
- This winter kids have a reason to celebrate. GCC’s first animation festival is all set to start in Dubai. Animate Dubai will offer a weekend packed with activities such as workshops, animated movies, themed talks amongst other fun activities. You can visit d3 Dubai Design District with your kid from 3 to 5 December 2015.
- Skip the mall and visit JBR for their Street Nights which will be held from 19 to 28 November 2015. Street Nights is a street culture festival with art, music and food offerings for you to enjoy.
- Global Village is the largest cultural exhibit in the region offering an array of festivals, shopping and entertainment in an open-air themed set up. Hosting over 70 participating countries presented in over 36 pavilions along with fun rides and restaurants, Global Village is open for public from November till April from 4 pm to 12 pm (weekdays) and from 4 pm till 1 am (weekends).
- Modern Woman Show is going to be held at the Dubai World Trade Centre from 17 to 19 December 2015. The shopping exhibition will feature latest and exclusive fashion and beauty collections from across the world. The products include clothing, jewellery, health & beauty, personal care, perfumes amongst others.
- If you’re looking for ethnic Indian and Pakistani outfits for the wedding season, head to Numaish Winter Show 2015. The exhibition showcases the latest work of well known and emerging designers and will be held over two days from 19 to 20 December 2015 at Al Murooj Rotana hotel. Entry is free of cost.