Are you moving countries but aren’t ready to part with your car? If you want your car to follow you around the world, here’s what you need to know about importing it to Dubai .
How to import your car
First and foremost, you need to be a resident of the UAE to import a car into Dubai. Therefore you need a valid passport and visa. Also note, only left hand drive cars which comply with the standard UAE vehicle specifications can be brought into the country. Before starting the process, the documents you should have at hand include:
- The original invoice of your car to prove ownership and value
- Certificate of Origin which is proof of where the car was manufactured
- Original Passport and make sure to bring copies with the visa page
- Bill of lading (a document which acts as a receipt of the shipment)
- Cash or cheque to pay custom duty and fees.
Registering your car in Dubai
When your car arrives in Dubai, you will have to head down to either Jebel Ali Port or Port Rashid. Here you will collect the delivery order from your chosen shipping agent and proceed to the Ports and Customs Vehicle Department. You will now need a clearance certificate from them in order to take your car out of the port. To get clearance, you will have to:
- Present the required documents which include the delivery order and your passport copy
- Customs will inspect your car to assess it’s value and calculate the custom duty. This is calculated at 5% of the car value in Dubai
- Once the value has been determined, your will proceed to pay the custom duty and receive your clearance letter
After that, you will have to insure and register your car before you can legally drive it in the UAE. To get your car registered, head down to Roads & Transport Authority (RTA) and submit the required documents which include:
- A valid UAE driver’s license
- The vehicle clearance certificate
- Emirates ID and Passport (original and copies)
- The vehicle insurance certificate
- Technical test
Technical tests can be carried out at selected service centers and will cost AED 120. A recovery truck can help you transport your car from the port to the service station. However, this will cost you anywhere between AED 200 to AED 500. After you car has been tested and registered you will get your new car number plates and now you can legally drive it around the country.