The National published an article on a reader’s personal finance problem and answers from experts on the same.

What is the procedure to change a credit rating if the rating is based on past issues. I had a case in 2013 from a bank regarding my credit card but it was settled immediately. Since then I have only used one bank for all my needs and have maintained healthy records. I then applied for a credit card from another bank but was rejected due to my low credit rating. I was told to apply to the Central Bank to change my rating. How do I do that?

Ambareen Musa, the CEO of provided her expert insight on resolving the issue.

Start by obtaining your credit report from AECB to verify your historical credit data. The bureau has a system in place through which you can dispute data shown on your credit report. If you see an error on your report, you can register a dispute and provide the relevant documents to support your case, such as account/car/loan statements from the bank. The bureau will verify this information with the bank and provide you with a resolution usually within 20 working days. If your claim is verified, the disputed information will be amended in their database and reflected in your future credit rating.

For full article go to The National